Re: (erielack) Route of the "Cleveland Lake Cities"

In a message dated 12/11/2010 1:48:36 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
eljefe3126_@_netscape.net writes:

I  believe the connecting trackage was operated by the Cleveland Union
Terminal  Company (a subsidiary of the NYC), but Mr. Timko can set me straight
on  that.  The connector was passenger-service-only for the Erie and later
the EL.

After searching some brain cells and reviewing an EMP TT I can respond
with----"not exactly".

The CUT Connection was an Erie/EL track and it had TCS  (CTC) between  "WE
(MP 3.30) and Broadway CUT" as defined in the EMP TT.  I recall  that the
Operator/Train Director at CT Tower had a traffic lever that controlled  the
traffic between Broadway CUT and West End Tower.  When the trains were  down
to one each way the traffic was always lined west so you could use the CUT
lead for headroom for a yard move or an engine out of SQ Shop if needed.
When #28 was ready to leave CUT, they would line the traffic east for the
move.

As far as passenger only---again, not exactly.

Heading west on the CUT Connection there was a trailing point switch  with
an electric lock.  It was designated "Lead from CUT Connection to  Rapid
material track" in the EMP TT.  That lead was used to ship ties and  ballast to
the SHRT (Shaker Heights Rapid Transit).  There were two tracks  on the
Shaker end if I remember correctly: one for materials and one that ended  onto
a ramp.  When SHRT was buying secondhand cars from other cities in the  late
50's and early 60's some of those cars came in via that ramp, so I have
been told.  I worked at Bridge 2.22 on Monday afternoons for about a year
(part of a traveling relief job) and I only recall the Avenue yard crew going
to  the material track once with ties or ballast or to pull empties.

SMT