From: Smtimko_@_aol.com
To: erielack_@_lists.railfan.net
Sent: Sun, Dec 12, 2010 10:58 am
Subject: Re: (erielack) Route of the "Cleveland Lake Cities"

n a message dated 12/11/2010 1:48:36 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ljefe3126_@_netscape.net writes:
I  believe the connecting trackage was operated by the Cleveland Union
erminal  Company (a subsidiary of the NYC), but Mr. Timko can set me straight
n  that.  The connector was passenger-service-only for the Erie and later
he EL.

fter searching some brain cells and reviewing an EMP TT I can respond
ith----"not exactly".

he CUT Connection was an Erie/EL track and it had TCS  (CTC) between  "WE
MP 3.30) and Broadway CUT" as defined in the EMP TT.  I recall  that the
perator/Train Director at CT Tower had a traffic lever that controlled  the
raffic between Broadway CUT and West End Tower.  When the trains were  down
o one each way the traffic was always lined west so you could use the CUT
ead for headroom for a yard move or an engine out of SQ Shop if needed.
hen #28 was ready to leave CUT, they would line the traffic east for the
ove.

s far as passenger only---again, not exactly.

eading west on the CUT Connection there was a trailing point switch  with
n electric lock.  It was designated "Lead from CUT Connection to  Rapid
aterial track" in the EMP TT.  That lead was used to ship ties and  ballast to
he SHRT (Shaker Heights Rapid Transit).  There were two tracks  on the
haker end if I remember correctly: one for materials and one that ended  onto
 ramp.  When SHRT was buying secondhand cars from other cities in the  late
0's and early 60's some of those cars came in via that ramp, so I have
een told.  I worked at Bridge 2.22 on Monday afternoons for about a year
part of a traveling relief job) and I only recall the Avenue yard crew going
o  the material track once with ties or ballast or to pull empties.

MT