Re: (erielack) Where models are made (economics and international trade)

It's not /all/ about labor cost.
IIRC, Atlas would have liked to do more in-house, but that would have
meant expanding, and a whole different tax structure and set of
regulations would have kicked in.
MicroTrains split off from Kadee for the same reason, to keep each
company under a certain number of employees (I think 100 was the magic
number)

Then again, Atlas and others have farmed out manufacturing for ages-
think Rivarossi, Rowa, Pola, Heljan, all sold under different names from
time to time.

But what do I know, I'm just an N scaler, and the manufacture of that
oversized stuff may be completely different
- -ArtP