Re: (erielack) 40 years

Tim Stuy wrote:

> As we get closer to that 40th anniversary next week I was wondering
> if those who rode the EL's long distance trains and particularly the
>  Lake Cities might share these memories.  For me I got to ride it
> once.  In November of 1969 I was got to ride from Blairstown to
> Hoboken and back for a day of shopping in New York City.  I remember
>  having breakfast on the way in - some kind of cereal in heavy cream
>  and dinner on the way back.  We were eating in the diner before
> departure and I remember commuters getting on a train next to us and
>  looking up at us eating.  Even then the spectacle of a long distance
>  train seemed out of place among the commuter trains at Hoboken.  I
> was 7 at the time so the rest of the details are hazy but it left a
> lasting impression on me.

When I was riding the GE test locomotive 750 between
Hornell- Meadville-Marion in 1955 I rode Erie passenger trains several
times between these points.

The first and one I remember most was on #1 that left Hornell in the late
afternoon and arrived in Meadville about 8:30 PM.  I had a fish dinner
and had blue cheese for the first time.

Another trip was on #5 and between Mansfield and Gallion I saw 750
heading east.  Not good.

I must have traveled between those points eastbound bu I do not remember
the trips.

The worst trip was from Hornell to Meadville,  I got into Hornell and
cleaned up at the motel.  The next westbound passenger, #1, was not due
out for  4 or 5 hours.  So I hitched a ride  on the next westbound
freight.  After we got moving and too late to get off I discovered we
had a 1500 HP FA and 115 mts. We were the lowest of the low and had to
wait for every eastbound.

I think #1 got into Meadville at least an hour ahead of us.

Just remembered.  I caught  a passenger train early one morning  that
got me into Chicago in the late morning.  Probably #1  The Condensed
Schedule in my Jan 1957 agrees with my recollection while the Local shows
it running two hours earlier.  Returning I caught  #2 at 6:05 PM.  I
rode in the cab and had another not so good trip  The engineer rang the
bell the whole way except when in a station even when the fireman was
running.

bob gillis