(erielack) 40 years

As many of you may know, January 4th will represent the 40th anniversary of
the end of long distance passenger service on the Erie Lackawanna with the
last runs of #5&6, the Lake Cities.  We at ELDCPS have been slowly working
towards the day when we can recreate that era, especially by recreating the
experience of dinner in the diner.

As we get closer to that 40th anniversary next week I was wondering if those
who rode the EL's long distance trains and particularly the Lake Cities
might share these memories.  For me I got to ride it once.  In November of
1969 I was got to ride from Blairstown to Hoboken and back for a day of
shopping in New York City.  I remember having breakfast on the way in - some
kind of cereal in heavy cream and dinner on the way back.  We were eating in
the diner before departure and I remember commuters getting on a train next
to us and looking up at us eating.  Even then the spectacle of a long
distance train seemed out of place among the commuter trains at Hoboken.  I
was 7 at the time so the rest of the details are hazy but it left a lasting
impression on me.

Tim