RE: (erielack) Last Run, Great Notch station to close Jan. 16th

Bob Gillis asked about Todd Hollritt's photos:

> Were the October pictures taken looking east?

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-12-23-09/DSCN2087.jpg
This is looking west. The junction with the Caldwell Branch would have been right at the end of the long string of cars.

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-12-23-09/DSCN2088.jpg
Looking east, the station platform is at the left (the station building used to stand right here)

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-12-23-09/DSCN2089.jpg
Looking east, I'm assuming the train is a Great Notch turn ready to go back to Hoboken?

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-12-23-09/DSCN2090.jpg
Looking east again. The station was right where the bus shelter at the left sits.

> Was the catenary extended so far beyond the MSU yard to
> permit trains to to enter from the west/north end of the yard?

Yes, and also to facilitate backing out this end of the yard.

> why would a Manhattan Direct train back into the yard.

I don't think he's backing in, I think he's ready to head east on Track 1.

> I thought the old station building was on the North (compass
> side of the tracks)and right next to Notch Road.

That is correct (see my comments above about the station location)

> The
> townhouse complex was built in the late 1990s south of the
> tracks and east of Long Hill Road.

Those townhouses come from the EL era - they appear in EL photos from the 1970s.