Re: (erielack) Tom Barry at Lincoln Park

To all-

Small world indeed!  Here is a picture of NKP 765 at Port Jervis, I assume
the same day from Bruce Leeman:

http://www.20thcenturyhobbies.com/trainnut/ELmainpage/PJ765.jpg

I was traveling North on Route 202 with my wife in the car when we heard
the whistle of a steam locomotive.  Seeing steam locomotive smoke on the
horizon we traveled at rapid speed (someone in the car asked if I were
crazy driving this fast) to the Lincoln Park crossing just in time to catch
the train going through.  I'll have to dig up the pictures I took that day
and post them for all to see.

- -Joe Jordan
Train Nut Central

At 07:11 AM 4/4/07 -0600, JOHN J BOEHNER wrote:

>Ed and listers,
>
>It is a small world indeed! On July 27 1965, we biked from Little Falls to
Lincoln Park and stopped at the depot. I know the exact date as I have the
Lackawanna round-trip "bland to blank" ticket from LP to Mountain View
which I purchased as a souvinier. The agent said we should go over to visit
Tom Barry, and we did! 35 Boonton Road at 202 South. Lo and behold, Tom had
several ticket daters in his office, and I talked him out of one with the
die for Montclair. Of course, I still have that! Tom also gave us several
of his business cards. The one I have in front of me is stamped on the back
with the dater die for Mountain View. If my memory serves me correctly, Tom
had quite a bit of Lackawanna memorabilia in his office.

>JJBoehner
>

>From Archives_@_Railfan.net<about:blank>
>Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 09:23:42 -0400
>From: "Montgomery, Edward T" <Edward.Montgomery_@_fcps.edu<about:blank>>
>Subject: RE: (erielack) DL&W ETT 1956
>
>Interesting that you mention Tom Barry.  He was a friend of my father's
and operated "C-TOM BARRY MOTORS" on Route 202 about where the extension of
Comley Road now reaches 202.  I remember talking to him about some railroad
history.  Up until around 1960 the Lincoln Park Station looked like it was
captured in a time warp or around 1920.  It had a hand pump sink in the
agent's area, a complete telegraph setup in the bay and a porcelain sign
nailed on the building that said "New York Telephone" indicating a pay
phone in the waiting room.  I believe the telegraph set went with Barry
when he left the station.