(erielack) Tom Barry at Lincoln Park

Ed and listers,

It is a small world indeed! On July 27 1965, we biked from Little Falls to Lincoln Park and stopped at the depot. I know the exact date as I have the Lackawanna round-trip "bland to blank" ticket from LP to Mountain View which I purchased as a souvinier. The agent said we should go over to visit Tom Barry, and we did! 35 Boonton Road at 202 South. Lo and behold, Tom had several ticket daters in his office, and I talked him out of one with the die for Montclair. Of course, I still have that! Tom also gave us several of his business cards. The one I have in front of me is stamped on the back with the dater die for Mountain View. If my memory serves me correctly, Tom had quite a bit of Lackawanna memorabilia in his office.

JJBoehner

From Archives_@_Railfan.net<about:blank>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 09:23:42 -0400
From: "Montgomery, Edward T" <Edward.Montgomery_@_fcps.edu<about:blank>>
Subject: RE: (erielack) DL&W ETT 1956

Interesting that you mention Tom Barry.  He was a friend of my father's and operated "C-TOM BARRY MOTORS" on Route 202 about where the extension of Comley Road now reaches 202.  I remember talking to him about some railroad history.  Up until around 1960 the Lincoln Park Station looked like it was captured in a time warp or around 1920.  It had a hand pump sink in the agent's area, a complete telegraph setup in the bay and a porcelain sign nailed on the building that said "New York Telephone" indicating a pay phone in the waiting room.  I believe the telegraph set went with Barry when he left the station.

Ed Montgomery