Re: (erielack) Mismatched EL HO Train

Plus... Have any of you ever mixed paint?

I used to work for Castle Auto Body Supply, I am thinking around 191
Blackwell, in Dover and I think they are now finish master.

At that time paints were mixed according to formula by volume and it was
nowhere near an exact science.  Now it is done by weight on a digital
scale and the color matches are much more exact.

But back then you could have a guy mix 10 gallons of the stuff in a row
and no two gallon cans of the finished product would be exactly the
same.  On top of that different temp when they were painted would
require different temp thinners/reducers and that would affect the color
as well. I am sure any difference in paint color would be noticeable to
the eye as the train went by.  The only thing that would be out of
character is if it matched exactly.

George

Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul) wrote:
> Bruce Ipe asked:
>

>>I have an EL mismatched HO passenger train. The two PA
>>locomotives are Proto 2000 with the EL paint scheme, but the
>>maroon is quite red. The passenger cars are International
>>Hobby with an EL paint scheme this is very maroon.
>>
>>This model in running from Hoboken to Chicago and at this
>>time in history is traveling through the Youngstown area.
>>Rather than repainting the cars or engines, I am lazy and
>>want to rationalize the difference in colors. I am justifying
>>it by explaining that the cars and engines were painted at
>>different shops that had different paint specifications.
>>Travel with me in my imagination and tell me what EL shops
>>did car/engine painting.
>

> The passenger cars were repainted at the Susquehanna shops, for the most
> part (did Hoboken or Meadville repaint any of these?)
>
> The diesels were usually painted in Scranton or (most typically)
> Hornell.
>
> You can always say that the passenger equipment's colors have been
> affected by years of weathering, while the PA's are freshly painted. Or
> you can always weather the passenger cars just a little bit to emphasize
> the concept of them being darkened by weathering.
>

>> I am just spoofing the amateur and not you knowledgeable
>>listers. Thank you and please do not berate me on my story or
>>lack  of modeling detail.
>

> When it comes to modeling, don't let ANYONE berate you. A model is what
> *you* make of it and what *you* want it to be! :)
>
> 	- Paul
>
> 	The Erie Lackawanna Mailing List
> 	Sponsored by the ELH&TS
> 	http://www.elhts.org

- --
Okay. Here we go. Focus. Speed. I am speed. One winner. 42 losers.
I eat losers for breakfast.
Breakfast?
Maybe I should have had breakfast?
Brekkie could be good for me.
No no no. Focus. Speed. Faster than fast, quicker than quick.
I am Lightning.......