Re: (erielack) Seacaucus Transfer news...

- --- mike1144_@_frontiernet.net wrote:
> As someone who passes the Secaucus Transfer five days a week, I haven't
> seen any news items for a long time.  Does anyone have an update on when
> it might be open or the "new cars" that are supposed to be put on the
> Port Jervis to Hoboken trains?

NJ Transit has two car jobs in progress: rebuilding the Comet II's and new
Comet V's.  You will probably see lots of Comet II rebuilds in the next
few months, but the Comet V's will mostly run on services into New York
Penn Station.

> They just put a "new" head end commuter car on the 6:00 AM train out of
> Salisbury Mills.  You could not see out any of the windows (worse than
> usual) and the seats had "butt indentations" that had to be at least
> forty years old!

Impossible.  The Comet I's (oldest diesel-hauled cars in service) are only
30 - dating from 1971 at the earliest.

> I was standing in the vestibule last week as we were coming into
> Salisbury Mills and as I was looking out over the viaduct, I saw what
> looked like a right of way more than half way across.  Is it an ROW and
> if it is, could this be the Newburgh branch of the Erie? I've tried
> following it in the past but lost track of it coming out of
> Washingtonville (no pun intended.)

Yep.  The Erie actually had two lines called the Newburgh Branch; one went
north from the main near Harriman (this is now the active line), which is
why that location is called Newburgh Junction, and the other went
northeast from Chester NY (not to be confused with Chester NJ, as happened
a few months ago on this list).  They met about 2/3 of the way to
Newburgh.  The one from Chester went through Washingtonville and under
Moodna Viaduct, which is what you probably saw.  Also in the area is the NYO&W...

=====
Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey