Re: (erielack) Hackensack River Bridges

Here's are ALL the bridges I can find on a map, starting at the south:

US 1 & 9 TRUCK ROUTE (that would be Lincoln Highway), vertical lift.
Bridges south of here cross Newark Bay, not the Hackensack River.

US 1 & 9 - Pulaski Skyway (not a drawbridge)

PATH bridge, I believe vertical lift but possibly a swing bridge

Conrail bridge (formerly Pennsylvania Railroad), I believe vertical lift
but possibly a swing bridge

NJ route 7, Witt-Penn Bridge, I believe vertical lift but possibly a swing
bridge

NJ Transit Morristown Line (formerly Delaware, Lackawanna & Western
Railroad) vertical lift

I think this is the last bridge in Jersey City.  The rest of the list is
of other movable bridges on the Hackensack, beginning in Secaucus.

AMTRAK Northeast Corridor (formerly Pennsylvania Railroad) 'Portal
Bridge', swing bridge (pivots at the center)

NJ Transit Boonton Line (formerly Erie Railroad), swing bridge

NJ Transit Main Line ((formerly Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad),
bascule bridge (lifts open from one end)

NJ Transit Bergen County Line (formerly Erie Railroad), bascule bridge

NJ route 3, two fixed spans.
All bridges up-river from here are fixed, as far as I know.

There are a number of movable bridges on the Passaic River all the way to
Paterson.  A great example of a vertical lift bridge that you seek is the
Stickel Bridge on Interstate 280 between Newark and Harrison; it opens
rarely.  Another (actually THREE separate bridges) is on the AMTRAK/NJT/
PATH line just east of Penn Station Newark; this is called the DOCK
Bridge.

- --- olsenkbce_@_juno.com wrote:
> Can anyone help this person?

> I am a Reference Librarian at the Bernards Twp. Library in Basking
> Ridge, NJ and we have a patron who is looking for the name and
> photographs of any drawbridges (vertical lifts) specifically in Jersey
> City that cross the Hackensack River.  I have spoken to the Jersey
> City Public Library and they believe the one near 1-9 is called the
> Hackensack River bridge.  We also located resources that indicate a
> drawbridge on the Lincoln Highway in Jersey City.
>
> We would appreciate any input or information you can provide for our
> patron.  As I will be out of town until 5/20, could you kindly respond
> by email to Ruth Lufkin, Supervising Reference Librarian at
> rlufkin_@_bernards.org, org call the library at 908-204-3031 x4.

=====
Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7