  From: Gary R. Kazin
  To: erielack_@_lists.railfan.net
  Sent: Saturday, May 11, 2002 4:40 PM
  Subject: Re: (erielack) Seacaucus Transfer news...

  --- mike1144_@_frontiernet.net wrote:
  > As someone who passes the Secaucus Transfer five days a week, I
haven't
  > seen any news items for a long time.  Does anyone have an update on
when
  > it might be open or the "new cars" that are supposed to be put on
the
  > Port Jervis to Hoboken trains?

  NJ Transit has two car jobs in progress: rebuilding the Comet II's and
new
  Comet V's.  You will probably see lots of Comet II rebuilds in the
next
  few months, but the Comet V's will mostly run on services into New
York
  Penn Station.

  > They just put a "new" head end commuter car on the 6:00 AM train out
of
  > Salisbury Mills.  You could not see out any of the windows (worse
than
  > usual) and the seats had "butt indentations" that had to be at least

  > forty years old!

  Impossible.  The Comet I's (oldest diesel-hauled cars in service) are
only
  30 - dating from 1971 at the earliest.

  > I was standing in the vestibule last week as we were coming into
  > Salisbury Mills and as I was looking out over the viaduct, I saw
what
  > looked like a right of way more than half way across.  Is it an ROW
and
  > if it is, could this be the Newburgh branch of the Erie? I've tried
  > following it in the past but lost track of it coming out of
  > Washingtonville (no pun intended.)

  Yep.  The Erie actually had two lines called the Newburgh Branch; one
went
  north from the main near Harriman (this is now the active line), which
is
  why that location is called Newburgh Junction, and the other went
  northeast from Chester NY (not to be confused with Chester NJ, as
happened
  a few months ago on this list).  They met about 2/3 of the way to
  Newburgh.  The one from Chester went through Washingtonville and under
  Moodna Viaduct, which is what you probably saw.  Also in the area is
the NYO&W...

  =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
  Gary R. Kazin
  DL&W Milepost R35.7