Re: (erielack) the fate of the EL

George Elwood
http://www.dnaco.net/~gelwood

On Sun, 30 Dec 2001, Michael Riley wrote:

> >The EL was in the processes of shutdowning service to various users on the
> >Cleveland branch while I was working there.
>
> Just curious why this was.  Were they not profitable shippers?  Wouldn't
> make sense if it was a money making opportunity.  i.e. profitable.

** Some businesses didn't receive or ship a great deal. The cost to
operate the train didn't justify amount of money received.

> >I know CR really didn't like
> >to service food warehouses and did whatever was necessary to have the
> >company terminate service.
>
> Any ideas on why this was?  I can't imagine why any company would turn away
> business, unless it was not profitable undertaking.

Railroad can end up losing money on delivered cars to warehouse. Any
damage to the contents were directed back to the railroad. I have heard
that boxes that were damaged by the receiving company were charged back to
the railroad. The damage appeared to be a folklift tine pushed through a
box.