Re: (erielack) the fate of the EL

>The EL was in the processes of shutdowning service to various users on the
>Cleveland branch while I was working there.

Just curious why this was.  Were they not profitable shippers?  Wouldn't
make sense if it was a money making opportunity.  i.e. profitable.

>I know CR really didn't like
>to service food warehouses and did whatever was necessary to have the
>company terminate service.

Any ideas on why this was?  I can't imagine why any company would turn away
business, unless it was not profitable undertaking.

>The Cleveland line was duplicated by the PRR/PC line. The ore business was
>going away as the mills in Youngstown shutdown.

I agree here.  Plus the Cleveland line was single tracked as of 1966 as you
well know, as opposed to the PRR/PC line.

>Nobody wanted the mainline west of Sterling. The B&O considered the line
>to Sterling and then moved over to the B&O.
>
>The Dayton branch had little traffic and what was run down the line could
>be easily handled by near parallel PC lines.
>
>CR had a lot of capacity on the NYC and PRR lines from Chicago so moving
>what little traffic that existed on the EL wasn't a major issue. As I
>remember, UPS was real happy with CR handling of their trailers. They were
>inserted into the normal TV trains and got to NYC when they got there.

makes sense.  Did CR dispose/abandon any other notable EL trackage in the
early days?

Mike Riley