Re: (rshsdepot) Major RR Terminals in the US before 1900

- ----- Original Message -----
From: <train1812_@_bellsouth.net>
To: <rshsdepot_@_lists.railfan.net>
Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2007 10:12 AM
Subject: Re: (rshsdepot) Major RR Terminals in the US before 1900

> Hi, Jim,
>
> You're right. Fuzzy memories, y'know.
> The OC passed Red Bridge, near the site where they once had an engine
> terminal (last I knew great road salt piles were stored there), then
> continued on to Wilkes-Barre Pier.
> Providence's Union Station opened some time prior to 1908, but I don't have
> the date.
>
> Albest,
>
> Leo

The station opened in 1896. BTW, there were THREE railroads on the east
bank of the Seekonk River, The Boston & Providence was first in 1836 with
a line to the steamboat piers at India Point in Providence, it followed by the
P&W's line to the Wilkes-Barre Pier in 1848. In 1855, the Providence, Warren
& Bristol built a line from India Point to the steamboat piers in Bristol. The
Seekonk River Bridge and East Side Tunnel were built by the New Haven in
1908 to give trains from Bristol direct access to Union Station after they had
been banned by the city from using trolley tracks to reach the station.

Jim.