Re: (rshsdepot) Major RR Terminals in the US before 1900

Hi, Jim,

You're right. Fuzzy memories, y'know.
 The OC passed Red Bridge, near the site where they once had an engine
terminal (last I knew great road salt piles were stored there), then
continued on to Wilkes-Barre Pier.
Providence's Union Station opened some time prior to 1908, but I don't have
the date.

Albest,

Leo

> Sorry, but you're not correct. The Old Colony acquired control of the
Boston & Providence
> by means of a 99 year lease in 1888. The New Haven acquired control of
both the OC and
> the B&P via a lease in 1893. So the new Union Station in Providence was
under full control
> of the New Haven at the time it opened. Not only that, but South Union
Station (the original
> name) in Boston actually opened on January 1, 1899.
>
> FYI, the Providence & Worcester's line from Valley Falls didn't go the Red
Bridge, it ran
> about 1 mile further south to the Wilkes-Barre pier. It was built in the
late 1840-early 1850s.
> The pier is now owned by Capital Properties Inc., the real estate holding
company spun off
> from the Providence & Worcester Railroad Company in the early 1980s.
>
> Jim.

> > Wait a minnit...
> >
> > The Boston & Providence operated between those two communities until ca.
1905 when the new South Station opened in Bahston
> > and when the NYNH&H took over those routes.
> >
> > The route from Valley Falls to Red Bridge also existed then, but I don't
know when it was built. That line and the mainline
> > cutoff from East Junction met at Red Bridge, then continued on to SS-151
where the line diverged to East Side Tunnel and