Re: (rshsdepot) Buffalo, NY stations in 1926

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, Gordy Bjoraker wrote:

> I recently bought a reprint of a 1926 Official Guide. It is printed
> on heavy paper, so it won't crumble into dust. I checked which
> railroads used each of the stations in Buffalo before Central
> Terminal opened.
>
> a) Grand Trunk, Michigan Central, New York Central, PRR, & West Shore
> b) BR&P, Lackawanna, Nickel Plate, and Wabash
> c) Erie
> d) Grand Trunk, Lehigh Valley
>
> The New York Central and Erie stations were adjacent. Since this
> pre-dates Central Terminal, does anyone know where the New York
> Central station was located? I assume this was east of Exchange
> Street because through trains to Chicago used it, unless they did a
> backup move.

It was on Exchange St downtown between Washington and Michigan Sts. west of
where the LS&MS and NYC&HRR connected. One block west of the Erie's depot and
off the mainline.

> I checked the "Grand Trunk" entry and it referred to CN (formed in
> 1921) trains from Niagara Falls routed via Lehigh Valley or New York
> Central into their respective Buffalo stations. West Shore still had
> daily service from Rochester to Buffalo via Clarence, NY. The Guide
> shows separate listings for NYC, MC, Big Four, and West Shore,
> although there is a common map at the beginning of the New York
> Central listing. Wabash had trains from Detroit operating via
> trackage rights over CN. It appears that PRR always used the NYC
> station, not the Lehigh Valley station.

Did it show Grand Trunk trains calling at Black Rock which was adjacent to
the GT's International Bridge to Canada on the NYC's Niagara Falls Branch?

Henry

J. Henry Priebe Jr.    Blue Moon Internet Corp Network Administrator
www.bluemoon.net       Internet Access & Web Hosting
www.railfan.net        Railfan Network Services