Re: (rshsdepot) MTA Is Correcting Its Neglect of New York City LIRR Stations

Paul writes:

> Last through passenger train Oyster Bay to Hempstead -1908 (1893-1908)

The LIRR ran many trains via Garden City -- to Oyster Bay, Port Jeff,
Greenport and Montauk. Garden City offered far more possibilities for
passengers than the Main Line -- which went strictly through farmer's fields
in what is now New Hyde Park and Merrilon Avenue. Some people get confused
and think these trains ran via the Central Branch to Bethpage. In any case,
the northwest leg for the four-way junction at Hempstead Crossing was
removed in 1946.

I looked in the 1916 ORG and see Garden City still listed as an Oyster Bay
stop -- though no trains.

> I can't find yet about the Mineola to Valley Stream train or Mineola to
Far
> Rockaway, nor Far Rockaway to Oyster Bay train that I think once
> existed...didn't someone write about these last year? I found the
following
> while looking:

I have timetables for Mineola-Valley Stream service in my collection. The
LIRR also ran Hempstead trains via Mineola, and appears to have run "Round
the Loop" trains via  the West Hempstead Branch for a time. The legacy of
this for the timetable collector was that Mineola rated a panel in the West
hempstead branch folder until the general revisions around 1949 or so. In
any case, I'm looking at a 1910 schedule that has trains running LIC-Garden
City-West Hempstead and back via Valley Stream.

West Hempstead Station was located between Hempstead Turnpike and Hempstead
Avenue until the cutback. There was also a trolley crossing on a bridge by
the station.

> Last electric to Roosevelt Racetrack - 1957

I dunno about that. I have a 1961 date on this, and I know that I watched
these trains at Clinton Road on one of by bike trips -- so I have to think I
watched these at late as 1958. My Dad worked at Mitchel Field -- and I also
remember getting into some trouble by sneaking out of a wedding and
reception at the chapel and officer's club to watch the Roosevelt Raceway
trains.  Electrification lasted longer -- because I rode an ERA fan trip to
Meadowbrook in the early 1960s

> I can't find the Oyster Bay to Far Rockaway or Mineola to East Rockaway
> dates...there also was Mineola to Valley Stream I thought...it is too late
> to search for that...that may have gone to 20's or 30's or 40's?

I think these were Sunday-only excursion trains. Seyfried mentions them.

Finally, I commend to everyone's attention the following site:

http://arrts-arrchives.nstemp.com/shuttle2.html

It includes a photo of the Newsday station (and the rest of the Central
Branch). The entire site is an excellent source of LIRR information.

Cheers,
Jim