Re: (rshsdepot) Railing vs. commuter depots

Paul mused:

> > ...How does Tremont still get service, some stations on LIRR
> > that served a few more than that were permanently closed..how many did
take
> > trains to/from Richmond Hill or Penny Bridge or Glendale near the end?

Considering all the other stations on this line that were abandoned over the
years (149th, Mott Haven, Claremont etc) the least they could do was to
leave Tremont. IIRC, the NYC did attempt to close it, but was rebuffed by
the NY PUC.

And Daniel added

>        The reason that the LIRR stations were closed is that the LIRR
> converted to high-level platforms only, and the closed stations had
low-level
> platforms.  It made no sense to spend large sums of money to build
high-level

Nonsense. Richmond Hill had (has -- I think it remains intact in case of an
Amtrak strike or whatever) a nice high level platform. BUT the Montauk
Branch to LIC was always a destination in revcent years. Lots of people
commuted to Ajax Terminal, Phelps Dodge and other large industries from Long
Island.  OTOH, no one commuted to NYC because the line-- in essence -- went
nowhere at Long island City. It was something of a hike to the IRT, and
Richmond Hill and Glendale/Fresh Pond had the Jamaica El and Myrtle El as
alternates.

In more recent years, the LIRR insisted on a high fare for this "Nowhere"
trip -- so what might be $1.50 on the M train would be $7.00 on the LIRR
(with the subway thrown in to Manhattan).

Of course, when the LIRR first put in Zone fares, the idiots in charge
didn;t bother filing tariffs for the Montauk, which led to some very
interesting fare anomalies ( that was one more reason to fire Walter
Schlager, war hero but transportation incompetent ).

> justify stopping quite a few trains at a station if only four people a day
> board there.  I wonder if that latter statement is true.

It may be that four board at Tremont to grand Central; the majority of
riders are heading to Westchester, as I understand it.

Cheers,
Jim