Re: (rshsdepot) Railing vs. commuter depots

In a message dated 4/10/2003 11:37:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
luckyshow_@_mindspring.com writes:

> ...How does Tremont still get service, some stations on LIRR
> that served a few more than that were permanently closed..how many did take
> trains to/from Richmond Hill or Penny Bridge or Glendale near the end?
> Maybe
> it was four..
>
> I was just wondering why Tremont escaped being closed (or condemned it
> sounds like)

       The reason that the LIRR stations were closed is that the LIRR
converted to high-level platforms only, and the closed stations had low-level
platforms.  It made no sense to spend large sums of money to build high-level
platforms at stations used by only a handful of passengers, so the LIRR
closed them down.  Tremont, by contrast, I think already has high-level
platforms, so that is not an issue.  One wonders, though, how Metro-North can
justify stopping quite a few trains at a station if only four people a day
board there.  I wonder if that latter statement is true.

                Daniel Chazin
                Teaneck, NJ