Re: (rshsdepot) Why Trains are Boring

Hi there,

I am afraid the move in the last 50 years to railways run by politicians has
been in the main a world-wide disaster. At a time when the environment issues
decree we should look at transit and freight systems which are more in tune
with mother earth we are allowing these people to wreck the rail systems and
starve them of investment.

Unless there is a major change in attitude and people stop talking and start
doing the next generations are going to reap the reward of our stupidity.

Rail born transit is not a panacea for all transport ills. It should though
have a major role in mass transit systems both light and heavy rail. Medium
and long distance passenger travel both as we have it now and especially
built high speed routes. Lastly in terms of freight, it needs to be a major
player and should be governed by some legislative controls. Leaving CN and CP
to downsize and cut infrastructure costs will long term mean less traffic.
Growth and expansion has to be met with high levels of investment and
development of quality services to customers.

Fat chance,

Peter E Thompson.