Re: (rshsdepot) Why Trains are Boring

Dherbert53_@_aol.com wrote:

> But,  had the purpose of the RUT been to make railroading as boring as
> possible for the next generation, it could not have been more successful.
> Dean Carroll

VIA Rail Canada is still hard at work attempting to make train travel from
Halifax NS to Montreal as boring as possible. This summer, when the new
Nightstock coaches come into service (ex-Euro tunnel stock originally made in
Quebec) VIA will cut the dome car service on the OCEAN Limited, making rail
travel between Halifax and Montreal about as exciting as airline travel, complete
with the Deep Vein Thrombosis....there is less room to move about in the
Nightstock cars.
I have already written angry letters to VIA and the federal Minister of Transport
(who is as useless as all the other cabinet ministers these days) protesting
VIA's plan NOT to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the OCEAN Limited in 2004.
I had been told about 10 years ago by a VIA marketing type that celebrating that
kind of heritage would make it difficult for VIA to cut the OCEAN when and if the
time came...obvious;y he was not kidding...one way to avoid promoting the
heritage of rail travel is to ignore it. BTW VIA' s attitude toward its history
can be summed up in its abandonment of the station at Levis, Quebec, the original
western terminus of the Intercolonial Railway. The historic building is now a
cheesy hot dog joint.
Jay Underwood
Elmsdale NS