Re: (rshsdepot) Buffalo, NY

J. Henry Priebe Jr. wrote:

>I found the MC through sleeper source, a July 1921 DL&W timetable which I
>unfortunately don't own, but its owner was kind enough to list the trains
>with through cars at Buffalo in some earlier correspondence. The MC ran
>Buffalo to Detroit (via the Canada Southern) and Detroit to Chicago where I believe they used IC's facilities and not LaSalle St possibly right up to the PC merger.
>
 >>>Thank you.  No, I don't think it was the M. C.  It was the Big 4, I
believe, because in the late 50's and very early 60's they still had two
trains a day operating out of  Central (IC) station in Chicago, both, I
think going south to Indianapolis.  As usual, I could look it up, but,
offhand, I think one was the James Whitcomb Riley, but I don't remember
the other one.  All other NYC and affiliates trains used LaSalle St.

>It appears there were two trains each way which used the MC in 1921.
>
>Westbound the Lackawanna Limited connected with the MC and the Chicago Limited is listed as via the MC and the NKP.
>
>Eastbound it was the Lackawanna Limited with MC and the Chicago & NY Express with MC and NKP.
>
>I am not sure how the MC connection worked, but I don't think both the NKP and
>MC were used by the same cars, it must have been separate through sleepers to
>each road. NKP's Chicago main wasn't very close to MC's Chicago main until the
>western half on Indiana and I'm sure they didn't run
>Buffalo-Detroit-Toledo-Continental, OH via NKP's Clover Leaf to NKP's Chicago
>main. I think it's a safe bet that at least two cars went different ways!
>
 >>>Another question.  Did the DL&W use the MC UNTIL they aligned with
the NKP or were they sending sleepers to Chi over two different routes
out of Oyvaken?