Re: (rshsdepot) Union Depot; the Theater Train on the PP&CI and other small historical tidbits and musings

Paul S. Luchter wrote:

>I see on the NYC schedules that there were two through trains a day to
>Pittsfield, Lenox, North Adams and the Berkshire Hills. via the Harlem
>Division. Yeah, they should reinstitute that service for sure. ...
>
>On the World's Fair Special...it says there was "Complete Wagner
>service."  What was that?
>
 >>>This refers to Wagner Palace Sleeping Car Co.  Wagner was owned by
the Commodore and ran sleeping car services on the NYC & HR and several
other connecting railroads.  They were probably the largest single
competitor of the Pullman Company until, eventually, Pullman was able to
buy them from Vanderbilt.  Wagner memorabilia is "heavy duty"
collectible.  I have, I think, a stock cert or two, one or two great 8 x
10 photos of Wagner Sleeping Cars and a pass.