Re: (rshsdepot) Santa Cruz, CA

Sad the depot is gone...does this article say anywhere if the sand trains
Davenport to Salinas will be discontinued and tracks torn up? Also it didn't
say how the tourist line to Felton relates to this plan....ooh boy all that
car parking is a thrill!

By the way this is the line, the original narrow gauge line from Alameda
Mole to Santa Cruz that the SP abandoned in 1940's. South Pacific Coast RR
began 1878 (Alameda to Newark)...1880 saw it completed to Santa Cruz, after
the tunnel was built in the mountains (a mile and an eighth long). You can
still see the north side entrance at Wright's Station. there was a second
tunnel at Glenwood. I think they grow mushrooms in it now...Standard gauged
and reopened 1909 after an earthquake  did major damage in 1906. Some small
tunnels were bypassed in new ROW. (There was also a broad gauge line from
Campbell to Los Gatos and  broad and narrow gauge (3 Ft.) trains pulled by
same engine, passenger trains used this strange dual (actually three rail)
route, with trains running Campbell to Wright's Station  beginning
1903-04...It is unclear how broad gauged cars went through the mountains on
the narrow gauge, there were diagonal connecting coupling bars between
narrow and wide gauge cars and they extended far over one side.

The SP took over 1887. These names were used for the various portions
preceding SP takeover: Santa Cruz & Felton; Bay & Coast; Oakland Township
(this was a branch  commuter line into Oakland-1881) ; San Francisco &
Colorado River (I have no reason why, it had originally been intended to
link up with the D&RG, that must be why); Felton & Pescadero; Almaden Branch
RR (this portion as freight was still used until late 70's)...

The Roaring Camp RR (began 1958) in Felton bought the remaining 9 mile route
Felton to Santa Cruz from SP late 1980's and renamed it Santa Cruz, Big
Trees and pacific....The SP had stopped using the line in 1982.
 He also was negotiating once to buy the Davenport to Watsonville line
(quite a bridge west of the boardwalk and roller coaster in Santa Cruz)

Santa Cruz's was a really great little station-I have slides of it
somewhere!

The exact date the SP abandoned this line I don't know-anyone know?  Much of
the route south of Los Gatos is today, along with towns of Alma and
Lexington, under the Lexington Reservoir

Paul