Re: (rshsdepot) 39th Street South Brooklyn questions and related run-on sentences . .

rshsdepot
Paul asked many questions, and life is short, so here are the easy
ones, for now:

   The New York & Sea Beach began 1879, from 61st and 1st Avenue
ferry-would that be where the Army Terminal is now?...I also have 64th
St Pier, so which might be true?...did it go to El too, I don't know,
I know about a Bath Junction, broken 1913, and the original route had
already turned streetcar I think...I think it was 1903 that the Sea
Beach Railway (1896 name change) diverted onto the BRT system..

I have a post card view of the Sea Beach Terminal -- which really
appears to be the whole ferry house. 64th St pier was on the acutal
Sea Beach Railway property, which was just north of the LIRR at 65th.
I have a track map that shows each separately. The Sea Beach had
freight service offered by SBK; the latter also offered freight
service on the Franklin Avenue line and the PPP&CI at greenwood Deot.
The latter survives on Port Authority Port maps at least as late as
1942. I've seen SBK freight service on the map at Consumers Park until
the early 1930s.

>(1898?). That it used steam dummies to 1900 I know....also is there
any remnant >of the 28th St Lackawanna Yard, I have looked and
couldn't find any...?

Under a bulk terminal.

It can also be noted that most of these ferries are neglected in the
big comprehensive ferry books. I guess the main question is after all:
What period saw passenger rail serving 39th St ferry,  which railroads
and when, and was there ever a South Brooklyn Railroad that carried
passengers? I had never known before the ferry book index that South
Brooklyn Transportation name originated with a ferry and not with
either Culver or the BRT after they took it over. Do any pictures
exist of the SBK 39th St terminal? All that is there now is abandoned
subway cars.

It was a major trolley terminal -- and I've seen pictures and movies
at ERA meetings in NYC.

>If Jim, you live in Bay Ridge, how would one get near the 69th Street
ferry site? >And even more puzzling-the Bay Ridge yard that was LIRR?

I walk across the street <g>.

Others may walk down from the 4th Avenue Subway at Bay Ridge Ave, or
take a B1 bus from there,  or B9 bus from the N train at 59th. The
pier has been completely rebuilt and is a great place to fish and hang
out and watch ships. I can also see SIR trains across the Narrows.

Cheers,
Jim