(rshsdepot) 39th Street South Brooklyn questions and related run-on sentences . .

rshsdepot
=95=95=95The West End and Culver railroads (the latter also a
part of the LIRR for a time) operated for short periods from the SBK
station at 39th, but mostly connected with the El at 5th Avenue -- or
in the case of Culver -- over the Bay Ridge Branch as an alternate to
going up to the depot at Greenwood.=95=95=95

Many related yet disconnected clarifications and questions follow, they =
are all mostly about waterside depots in Brooklyn:

9th Avenue and 20th Street was the original Prospect Park & Coney Island =
RR (1875, AKA Culver line)...LIRR 1892...leased to BRT 1893...What year =
did it go onto the 5th Ave El? Did it go to 39th Street (a mile or  two =
west of 9th, which is near the Greenwood Cemetery) soon after...was it =
first to get there? When did it stop going there?
   The New York & Sea Beach began 1879, from 61st and 1st Avenue =
ferry-would that be where the Army Terminal is now?...I also have 64th =
St Pier, so which might be true?...did it go to El too, I don't know, I =
know about a Bath Junction, broken 1913, and the original route had =
already turned streetcar I think...I think it was 1903 that the Sea =
Beach Railway (1896 name change) diverted onto the BRT system..

 The West End line, the Brooklyn, Bath and Coney Island (1864) ran from =
25th and 5th Depot, I think this is near water, not far from where the =
Lackawanna had a Car Float yard...I don't know the total history of this =
West End line's northern terminus changes, when it was at 39th, when it =
hooked up to the rest of the system (1898?). That it used steam dummies =
to 1900 I know....also is there any remnant of the 28th St Lackawanna =
Yard, I have looked and couldn't find any...?

Did you say  that the Culver line used the route to Bay Ridge once? I =
never remember this, nor a ferry from MB/LIRR in Bay Ridge, I don't =
recall that in the short period (1875?1878?-1894, also 1903) that =
passenger trains went to Bay Ridge (went west of Manhattan Beach Jct.), =
that this was connected to any ferry at all at Bay Ridge, it seems it =
was out of Greenpoint, Bushwick, Long Island City..I figured that trains =
went to Bay Ridge as the "last" stop in a commuters morning trip, not =
the beginning of the day's journey....I guess I am asking here 1) if =
Culver line ever really diverted to a Bay Ridge Ferry 2)Timetable =
history to Bay Ridge...(Bay Ridge was I think originally to be the west =
end of a line out to Long Island through New Lots east and had minimal =
passenger service and patronage...3) details on this are even meager in =
Seifreid

It can also be noted that most of these ferries are neglected in the big =
comprehensive ferry books. I guess the main question is after all: What =
period saw passenger rail serving 39th St ferry, which railroads and =
when, and was there ever a South Brooklyn Railroad that carried =
passengers? I had never known before the ferry book index that South =
Brooklyn Transportation name originated with a ferry and not with either =
Culver or the BRT after they took it over. Do any pictures  exist of the =
SBK 39th St terminal? All that is there now is abandoned subway cars.

Too bad that they are tearing down Atlantic Ave, nice to see as you pass =
under it driving on Atlantic, also nice view from LIRR train in East NY =
station-will they tear out the high up in the air left over piece of the =
Express tack-I think it is on the Jamaica El out of Broadway Junction =
(n=E9 Manhattan Junction)? I notice on the Broadway Ferry timetable that =
it doesn't read East New York..did LIRR just call Manhattan Junction =
"East New York" after the route relocated and expressed from Delancey =
and Chambers to there?   Not maybe MTA, but is the abandoned power plant =
there also doomed...why don't they just ;leave this stuff, are they =
gonna put a Home Depot up there instead of the extra platforms? Why =
waste the resources anyway?

If Jim, you live in Bay Ridge, how would one get near the 69th Street =
ferry site? And even more puzzling-the Bay Ridge yard that was LIRR?

Thanks,
Paul