Re: (rshsdepot) Broadway Ferry and Perth Amboy Ferry . . .

rshsdepot
At Long Island City, there was the Borden Ave LIRR ferry, the South Side
ferry north of that, but if I recall correctly, the North
Shore&Flushing/Central RR had no ferry, giving that traffic to the LIRR?

You can see a view of the NY&MB ferry site near Quay Street in my article
about Bliss and Bushwick..

The South Side Ferry site would be entombed now within a very large
sanitation department building, possibly the ugliest use of waterside land
in all of the city...at Grand Street there is a nice little park between
other ugly sanitation buildings, plus an ancient historic furnace with
chimney...

I remember boarding tuscan red LIRR cars once, somehow one was still in the
mid-sixties commuter train...my favorite, that always was on the run to the
Long Beach Branch to my stop was a grey combination passenger-baggage car, I
always loved to wait standing in the baggage half and get out through the
huge sliding door (was it manual? I don't recall)

My questions on the Bay Ridge ferries was in other message...

There was the Perth Amboy ferry which was run by the SI Ry, which is
interesting- there was commuting from/to Jersey using the southern SI...even
without a bridge down there, but I guess we were only talking about
Brooklyn..Did the Els run their own ferries?..Steinway System would qualify
maybe with the ferries to Astoria linked to his horsecar/streetcar line,
maybe College Point ferry qualifies as a RR one as well since Poppenhausen
started that one... There is also that NH steamer the Maryland, from Port
Morris in the Bronx to Jersey City at Harsimus Cove (1876-1912)