Re: (rshsdepot) Lower Manhattan Depots [was B&O Railroad Museum]

rshsdepot

    Jim, & Paul Luchter, are right that I momentarily scrambled NY&N and
NY&H- perils of late night gabbling.
    Jim, I'm familiar with Grogan on the NY&H, and he becomes frustratingly
& enragingly, utterly vague about the details below 28th Street, just as do
the old standards (Hungerford, etc).  Haven't got my hands on a copy of
Condit yet - is there some real detail there?
    I have a NYC&HR bulletin of December 1885, announcing closure of the
"Centre St" station and instructing freight billed there be redirected to
Barclay St, 33rd Street, or St John's Park, so freight was being handled
there up till  then.  But it raises the question:  Where on Centre, which is
a north-south street?  Bottom end is at Brooklyn Bridge, next to City Hall;
top end is now near Broome Street, but it was extended north during the 19th
Century, and used to be shorter.  It COULD be that NY&H trains came all the
way down 4th Avenue and then Bowery to Chatham Sq ("Five Points"), to Park
Row, and met Centre St right next to City Hall at what had just become the
Manhattan end of the Brooklyn Bridge in 1885.
    Maybe Seth Bramson is right from 1000 miles away, and I just have to
make the schlep to Museum of City of New York for the answers . . .
    Thanks, all
    Steve Delibert

From: James R. Guthrie