Re: (rshsdepot) Lower Manhattan Depots [was B&O Railroad Museum]

rshsdepot
I am confused. (what else is new I hear you say?):

First, we discussed this last Spring or so- it was the NY and Harlem that
(maybe) went as far as Park Row-this became a horsecar and eventually the
route that the 3rd Avenue Railroad assumed, and eventually
electrified...Remember the discussion about a way downtown freight station
(where was it?) and how far freight may have gone and up to what year?

The New York & Northern (orig called NY City and Northern) first went south
High Bridge, then built a bridge over the Harlem River and connected and
terminated at 155th Street next to the Polo Grounds, at the furthest north
8th Avenue/9th Avenue Elevated of the New York Elevated
Railroad/Metropolitan Elevated RR West Side Division (the two els shared the
El, the Metropolitan 6th Ave line connecting to 9th Avenue at 53rd
Street-though I admit my knowledge on this sharing is sketchy)...later the
Putnam division cut back to Sedgewick Avenue north of where Yankee Stadium
is today. The bridge became part of the El/IRT and was still a shuttle
connection until after Giants moved to San Francisco (someone had the
correct ending date here not long ago)

The NY and Hudson went south to St. Johns Terminal/Hudson Terminal, the NY
and Harlem did go south at least as far as Madison Square (as did the NH),
possibly further south as discussed last year)

The book on the Putnam Division has no mention of the NY&N going anywhere
near Astor House, City hall, park Row...you must mean by this El transfer
connection or something else...

The NY & Northern/Putnam Division didn't even go to Grand Central ever, let
alone through the Bowery

I still have found no info at all on the Erie 28th Street Freight Terminal
so I can write an article with the great pictures I got in early 70's-this
info is hard to find-even in the age when industrial grit was admired as
modern culture and beautiful, the dock RRs and switching RRs and that sort
of stuff around New York was little noted....I think it was to them like
today what a discussion of a fork lift (that moves palettes unloaded off a
truck) in relation to intercity trucking (why I bring up trucks is beyond
me!!)

Paul

Paul

They had through tickets and all, but not through cars