RE: (erielack) ES99/SE98

> I question the 10 mph speed limit that has been mentioned for the High
> Bridge Branch. I know the freights did not barrel along but I think they
did
> better than 10 mph. The 1971 CNJ employees TT shows a limit of 35 mph
> from High Bridge to Califon and 30 mph from Califon to Hopatcong Jct. A
1967
> TT shows the same. Even near the end of service in 1976, I remember seeing
> a job come through Long Valley and it was surely doing better than 10 mph,
> at least in my memory.

Hmm, I've always read that it was FRA Class 5 track (and first-hand
experience from people who have told me the trains usually kept to 10-15 MPH
- - not saying there weren't "throttle jockeys" that abused this a bit, but if
you've seen the cars rocking and rolling on this line, you'd tend to keep
the speeds down! :)

Also note that the CNJ trains in the 1971 timeframe weren't the
monstrosities that ES-99/SE-98 were, either. Does anyone have a later CNJ
employee TT to confirm?

> With the renewed interest in these trains, I went searching for another
view
> and found a shot of SE98 at Hainesburg on Sunday April 9, 1972. I have not
> been to this location in decades but I believe I was standing on the old
> NYS&W roadbed.

Another great shot! I assume the Paulinskill Viaduct is just out of scene to
the right, which would make this shot on the Susquehanna abandoned ROW, as
you surmise.

> I remember seeing ES99 on several occasions but just this once for SE98.
Was
> SE98 generally nocturnal?

SE-98 usually left Scranton in the late afternoon and wouldn't reach NJ
until very late in the afternoon. Most of its travel through NJ occurred
under cover of night. Looking through my photo collection, the vast number
of daylight shots are in Pennsylvania, and the token few in NJ are taken
close to dusk. One shot shows it arriving at E'port in strong light of the
rising sun.  Of course, all this is still fairly loose, as technically all
these were "extras" and could run at any time, but usually adhered to these
rules.

ES-99 was a better chase for NJ people, as it would usually arrive at Lake
Jct in later afternoon facing into the sun, and would be wonderfully lit at
Port Morris at this time of day.