RE: (erielack) ES99/SE98

To view or download the image(s), click on or cut and paste the
following URL into your web browser:

http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-10-18-12

SE98-Hainesburg-19720409.jpg (image/jpeg, 1800x1200 430606 bytes, BF: 5.02 ppb)

I question the 10 mph speed limit that has been mentioned for the High
Bridge Branch. I know the freights did not barrel along but I think they did
better than 10 mph. The 1971 CNJ employees TT shows a limit of 35 mph from
High Bridge to Califon and 30 mph from Califon to Hopatcong Jct. A 1967 TT
shows the same. Even near the end of service in 1976, I remember seeing a
job come through Long Valley and it was surely doing better than 10 mph, at
least in my memory.

With the renewed interest in these trains, I went searching for another view
and found a shot of SE98 at Hainesburg on Sunday April 9, 1972. I have not
been to this location in decades but I believe I was standing on the old
NYS&W roadbed.

I remember seeing ES99 on several occasions but just this once for SE98. Was
SE98 generally nocturnal?

Dan McFadden