From: Ed Montgomery [mailto:etmontgomery46_@_gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2012 9:55 AM
To: doctorpb_@_bellsouth.net; EL Mail List
Subject: Re: (erielack) ES99/SE98

With a 10 mph speed on the High Bridge branch, how long did it take for the
"ES/SE" trains to travel from E-port to Scranton?  I read that CNJ had a few
derailments on the branch.  Did they make any improvements on it when the
Scranton freights began running there?  I never really understood the need
for CNJ to give up there Pennsylvania operation.  LV seemed to like their
grades better abandoning a lot of their mainline in favor of the CNJ.  I do
remember a New York bank was frustrated with the performance of CNJ and
desired to liquidate the property to get what they could out of it.  They
probably should have been molded in to the MARC-EL plan spinning all
commuter operations off to another agency.  Ultimately I guess that happened
through CR and then CSX and NS taking over properties.  The CSX heritage
with CNJ goes back to when the B&O alliance controlled Reading and CNJ.
Interesting to see how things finally turned out.

Ed Montgomery