Re: (erielack) Erie Lackawanna-track abandonment question

Paul,

This sounds as the same fan trip I was on with the three PA's and Phoebe Snow equipment that went west on the Erie Main Line through Suffern, Harriman, Monroe, Middletown, Port Jervis and Binghamton.

After layover at Binghamton went south on the short 20 mile Erie Branch into Scranton and back east on Route of Phoebe Snow and through Dover. Not sure if we came back on Greenwood Lake-Boonton line from Dover or all the way east on the DLW Main Line through Newark.

Those were the days. No more fan trips these days.

Jerome

  Rich,
>  I can't forget what I never knew in the first place.
>
> Can you tell us about it? Was in only in PA or did it start at this "East
Slateford"
> in NJ? How long was it? When was it taken out? I'm guessing from what I
see
> in pictures it had to come out by the very early 70's??
>
> Thanks,
> Mike D.
>

> On 10/15/2012 3:43 PM, Richard Pennisi wrote:
> > Seems to me everyone has forgotten about the Slateford passing siding.
> >
> > Rich Pennisi

I don't know what timeframe Rich is referring to, but in 1974, according to
Bill Sheppard's diagram book, there was no passing siding on the Cut-Off
side, but it DOES show a  siding on the Old Road side that appears to have
started near the tower and extended beyond where the Cut-Off passed overhead
(the diagram notes that the siding held 102 cars). Rich, is that the one
you're referring to?

In later EL years, you obviously wouldn't be seeing through freights at this
location...