RE: (erielack) Elmira

KenSince I am the guilty party in writing "The Railroads of Elmira" I'll take a swipe at some of your questions.  #1 - NS still maintains yard operations at Elmira but I will defer till later a list of current industries.  Suffice to say that after years of Conrail service and New York State's business climate not much remains although after an absence of over a century, railroad passenger cars are again being built in Elmira/Elmira Heights.#2 - the PRR never had its own track between Horseheads and Southport.  This is partly due to the fact that its predecessors were not trans-Elmira railroads and, in fact, the Erie Railway at one time had control of the line north from Horseheads to Watkins Glen and beyond.  This was one of the longest (in time) of EL Trackage Rights Agreements being in effect up until April 1, 1976.#3 - The LV continued kept its Trackage Rights access to Elmira from Waverly in effect until Conrail though I do not know what its final service frequencies were.  I will have to defer to later or others an update on LV track in service today.#4 - I understand that to retain access to the Tioga Division (Blossburg et al) the Erie's limited Trackage Rights over the NYC from Corning to Newberry Junction were modified to permit an Erie-crewed train to operate from Corning to Lawrenceville (Tioga Junction) and return.  Erie trains operating from Corning to Newberry Junction were Erie-powered and caboosed but crewed by NYC employees, an arrangement that existed until the effective end of this route when the former DL&W-RDG Rupert gateway was available after the EL merger.        I'll put some fine-tuning of these answers on the jiob jar if other listers are not able to help.MJC