RE: (erielack) Last Erie Passenger Train Derailment?

>         Paul and all,  I'd like to see photos of that derailment.

The Collins slides of that wreck (other than the one that was printed in the
aforementioned Trains Illustrated article) are now in the collection of
Morning Sun Books. Hopefully one day they'll be used in a book (here's
hoping!)

>  It's my
> understanding that the rebuild of 822 as a result of that wreck resulted
in
> that unit receiving the later model grills (farre-aire ?) and new style
headlight
> opening.

That is correct - 822 was rebuilt with Farr-Aire grilles and the E9-style
flush gasketed headlight.

>         I also recall hearing that 823 was never "right" after that and
was the first
> of the EL E's scrapped because of all the long running problems.  I'd
welcome
> any additional info on these recollections.

I can't speak to the recollections, but I do believe the 823 (which was
scrapped prior to CR circa 1975) donated one of its prime movers to the
rebuilt RS3m 1060.  But it was in regular revenue service until at least the
end of 1974, so they must have been able to keep the unit patched up long
enough to get another 14 years out of her.