(erielack) DL&W Lease of RW&O

I'm currently reading the Richard Palmer book "Rails Through Cortland". On
page 32 the section on making the railroad standard gauge begins. Here it
mentions "The move towards standard gauge was expedited when the DL&W leased
the neighboring Rome Watertown and Ogdensburg, which had been built as a
standard gauge road".

Can anyone tell me when and how this lease came to be? What transpired to
have the RW&O leave the Lackawanna's control and become a part of the New
York Central?

Anything else interesting on this topic is welcome too. Thanks.

Todd K. Stearns