Re: (erielack) calendar photo's + trainmaster question

The federal requirement, probably developed after the E-L joined
Conrail, is for an engineer to be tested with conditions less favorable
than are normally expected.  On a dark railroad or line, the tests which
I used most frequently were torpedoes and fusees. Of course, most
railroads don't use torpedoes any more, but they are effective.  If the
torpedoes or fusees are used in areas where the track warrant or
clearance card indicate no speed restrictions or track bulletins in
effect, the engineer must understand what is required in order to comply
with the new, unexpected restriction. When I heard the engineer tell the
conductor over the radio what he encountered and what he was required to
do, I usually gave permission to resume track speed.  But then, there
were engineers who would say virtually nothing.  They remained at
restricted speed for two miles following torpedoes or waited the full
two minutes at fusees and then proceeded at restricted speed for a mile.

Ken B.