(erielack) Re:ALCOS

EMD did not use turbo chargers until the GP20 so all their early units do not use them. Remember EMD's are 2-cycle engines with a scavenging stroke which requires the roots blowers (not really a supercharger). Alco, Baldwin, GE's are 4-cycle. The exhaust gas pressure between the two designs is very different. 4 cycle engines have exhaust pressure which can drive a turbo while the two cycle would need to be at much higher RPM's.
The clutch drive mechanism for driving the turbo on an EMD (GP20 thru GP35) is complicated and very expensive and technical to replace. On the other hand a turbo on an Alco is a simple device capable of being changed out by any shortline shop. Look at how many original configuration GP35's are in service today versus the Alco C424/425 which was the equivalent machine.
The new type of fuel-limiting governor is being applied to Alco's also. The D-L has several of their Alco's equipped with them. You do not see heavy black smoke from these locomotives. New acquisitions such as LV 414 and some other are amoung those not with this type of governor.

Rich Jahn