Re: (erielack) ALCOS

Being out  railfanning on the Delaware Lackawanna  today I saw some first
hand examples of Alco's and smoke. One of the better relations I've heard
on this matter was this off of Trainorders some time ago:

 " Most transient diesel smoke is caused by turbo-lag. There is too much
fuel being injected into the turbo-charger until to comes up to speed to
provide sufficient boost. EMD engines had a big advantage in that the non
turbo-charged engines had an engine driven super-charger (Roots blower)
and  had a gear drive with an over-running clutch. At low power, the
turbo-charger was engine driven while at high power it was driven by the
exhaust turbine. Newer GE engines avoid this problem by controlling the
amount of fuel injected while the turbine comes up to speed."

FWIW

 Rich Onorevole