RE: (erielack) E8s without portholes (was: Latest Diamond - Single E-units on passenger trains)

Rich Pennisi wrote:

>I'm not certain of the exact date but I took a photo in 1965 of I believe
the
>817 at Dover NJ with the port holes removed and with the maroon stripe
minus the
>yellow stripes above, below, and through the maroon band.

Not quite, I'm afraid - you're probably remembering the 817 since it was the
ONLY E8 that survived until Conrail with its portholes intact.

The portholes on the E8s were removed from 1965 through 1967, with the
exception of the aforementioned 817. The changeover was pretty quick! I'm
wondering how the 817 survived with its portholes?

 I may be in the minority, but I thought the units looked "sleeker" without
portholes. I liked 'em better! :)