From: "intercityrailpal_@_netscape.net" <intercityrailpal@netscape.net>
To: erielack_@_lists.railfan.net
Sent: Tue, December 14, 2010 7:58:45 PM
Subject: Re: (erielack) Latest Diamond - Single E-units on passenger trains

I would think one unit on the west end for 5&6 would be OK. I didn't remember
ever having one unit. But it could have happened. In those days fuel was cheap
the units were getting old, (E-8's) and shot. Two units will give you a faster
take off. And there's Pocono Summit. 5&6 were so light by then, I don't think it
mattered. Today it's all about cost. We have no back up systems today. If 5 & 6
were running today. It would have one unit west of  Scranton!  If something went
wrong on our single track railroad, we'd just tie everything up and out law all
the train crews behind us, a freight behind us would have to cut off his power
and shove us in the clear somewhere, until the buses came. If buses could be
found. Lance