Re: (erielack) Different Box Car Lettering

Ron and all,

I think you are right, that is caboose lettering!  Those thinned out
diamond logos were used (smaller versions at least) on EL vehicles (see
p.125 of EL Color Guide) and maybe even on some autoracks.  As Paul
pointed out though, this doesn't look like Meadville Shop's normal
quality.  If that slide date is right (6-77), maybe this is post-CR,
done by former EL guys having some fun.

Mike O.

- ---------------------------------

http://cgi.ebay.com/Erie-Lackawanna-freight-car-odd-Original-Slide-1977-/380298740955?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588b9244db

Mike and List,

I think that Meadville used the Erie Lackawanna lettering pattern that they
were using on the repainting of the cabooses into the new G-M-Y scheme
started in 1974. See attached photo where I superimposed one on the other.
As for the diamond, I haven't looked into that. This is a real nice find -
just shows the creativeness of the shop forces.

Ron Dukarm

I'm really on the fence on this one. At first glance, I was going to say it was a model, and I'm still leaning in that direction. That particular diamond style was never used on an EL freight car, to the best of my knowledge, but I know that someone (Champ?) has a decal set with this same exact style of diamond.

If it's a REAL car, I'm guessing this was a wreck repair done by someone (maybe even CR?) It's obviously a fairly new paint job (look at the shine on the end!) The typefaces don't match ANYTHING that Meadville used - by 1974, they were using Gothic capacity data, and the data on this car appears to be a square-stencil typeface.   The roadname appears to be almost hand-lettered.

I'd be willing to say this was a one-of-a-kind, and again, I don't think this paint job was a product of Meadville. Their paint jobs were FAR better than this!