RE: (erielack) Different Box Car Lettering

> I think you are right, that is caboose lettering!  Those
> thinned out diamond logos were used (smaller versions at
> least) on EL vehicles (see
> p.125 of EL Color Guide) and maybe even on some autoracks.
> As Paul pointed out though, this doesn't look like Meadville
> Shop's normal quality.  If that slide date is right (6-77),
> maybe this is post-CR, done by former EL guys having some fun.

I don't think its the caboose lettering (BTW, that lettering is the standard EL 9" Gothic roadname - the same one used on diesels, too) - look at the "C", and note that the "E"s have odd angles on some of the lettering. It certainly looks hand-lettered to me....

And there are other examples of CR shop folks repainting EL cars (see the gondola photo in Larry De Young's color guide, for example)....

I'm still leaning towards a post-EL paint job here. :)   If anyone on this list gets the slide, I'd love to see a higher-res scan so we can see some detail on the lettering....