Re: (erielack) Different Box Car Lettering

To view or download the image(s), click on or cut and paste the
following URL into your web browser:

http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-12-14-10

mms_ELsign_@_Akron_March76_jpg.jpg (image/jpeg, 250x169 9503 bytes, BF: 4.45 ppb)

> Ron and all,
> I think you are right, that is caboose lettering!  Those thinned out
> diamond logos were used (smaller versions at least) on EL vehicles (see
> p.125 of EL Color Guide) and maybe even on some autoracks.  As Paul
> pointed out though, this doesn't look like Meadville Shop's normal
> quality.  If that slide date is right (6-77), maybe this is post-CR, done
> by former EL guys having some fun.
> Mike O.

Mike,

It does look like the diamond is from non-freight car design. Most likely
MOW or auto-rack or other signage. Attached is an EL sign posted at Marion
that uses this style design. Photo is March 1976. Personnaly, I'm glad
Meadville got creative. More for us to find and model. Never say never on
paint schemes.

Ron Dukarm