Re: (erielack) DL&W-NKP Through (Passenger) Car Service at Buffalo

In the 1950s, as a kid, I did get to ride several times from Cleveland
to Scranton via the NKP-DL&W.  The train we usually took east was the
New Yorker (#8) and came back on Phoebe-NKP (#5).  Living on the west
side, not far from Lakewood, we always got on the train at Terminal
Tower and never Rocky River (for some reason). I only remember riding in
a NKP coach all the time (but wanted to be in a Lackawanna car and never
seemed to get to do that).  We never had a sleeper or ate in the diner
(bringing our own food).  Once my dad took me back to the Tavern Lounge
for a Coke and I got to look out the back of the train which was
exciting.  I always thought the caps on the NKP conductors were really
classy with the two gold bands around the base of the cap (see EL Color
Guide p.10); Lackawanna conductor caps were rather plain.  It was always
a sensual thrill to board the train in Scranton because westbound Phoebe
came in under the train shed (Track 1) and there was the steam coming
from under the cars and the concentrated smell of diesel and hot
brakes.  To a little boy it was all so wonderful.

I did a little write-up on Cleveland-Buffalo a few years ago.
http://lists.railfan.net/erielack-digest/200702/msg00165.html

The train trips ended in 1960 when my dad got a job with ground service
for American Airlines.  After that we did a few CLE-BUF-AVPs.  To be
honest too, we drove many, many times (12 hours over Route 6), but
that's another story.

Mike Oravec