Re: (erielack) Alco Farewell / Economy Changes

Really, to me it was very simple. There was no rail plan, except to get rid of most of the railroads. And they did. To think of the traffic that used to be on EL-and  many other eastern railroads. It's all truck today.  Think of all the multi million dollar fuel plaza's and truck stops and convenience stores. Built at EL's expense Let alone the trillion dollar build out of Interstates and Airports. If you look at old Erie employee magazines it was well discussed there. There were even anti-highway ads.
Today we have a downgraded limited rail system, with high rates for the remaining customers. When I go railfaning, I see where things were, or are completely gone. Lance

- -----Original Message-----
From: Montgomery, Edward T <ETMontgomery_@_fcps.edu>
To: 'EL Mail List' <erielack_@_lists.railfan.net>
Sent: Tue, Dec 14, 2010 7:46 am
Subject: RE: (erielack) Alco Farewell / Economy Changes

Consolidated Freightways had an interest in EL pushing up the value of its stock
n the mid-60s.  UPS and other truckers could have considered using EL as an
xpressway to the New York Market but I imagine groups like the Teamsters and
ossibly the ICC would have opposed this idea every way they could.
Ed Montgomery