Re: (erielack) Re: ALCO plant farewell

   I agree, Todd..........one of the members of our NRHS Chapter here brought in
4 builders fotos from the 1920s to be auctioned off  - proceeds into the club
treasury. One was of a 2-8-8-0 Mallet from a small RR out West (I forget which),
one 0-6-0 tank engine for a logging RR, I forget the third, but the best & my
favorite was a 0-8-0 heavy switcher for the CNJ builder date of July or August
1929. I remarked to the club 'Just in time to selloff everything before the
crash'. It was a beautiful locomotive and reminded me of the DL&W 200 class
0-8-0s rebuilt form the freight 4-6-2s. NOW if he'd had a builders foto of a
1600 class, I'd have bid it to the limit. This is the 2nd time ALCO builder pics
have come to the club. The prints were about 10 x 20 inches mounted on heavy
cardboard. The other time was when I got the charter for the Chapter from NRHS
and we started having meetings. One of the guys appeared with a leather covered
binder holding oblong prints (B&W of course). He told me he used to work in
Schenectady for ALCO in the 1940s.

    God only knows what's in the attics of the retirees down here........one guy
gave me a small print of the Milwaukee streamlined 4-4-2 pulling a train. No
info, but what a shot. Another is of a FEC streamliner in B&W...no location & I
asked the guys who've been here a while (especially the FEC buffs). No idea.

Regards to all

Walt Smith