(erielack) Re: ALCO plant farewell

 Lots of interesting posts and discussion about the demise of the ALCO plant since I posted the news. Back in 1964 the Erie Lackawanna bought their last Alco locomotives, and they rolled out these doors in October of that year, EL never purchased another Alco product after that. But history tells us at least six Erie Lackawanna C-425's, and seven C-424's (And some S-1's, S-2's and S-4's) are still with us today, long after most all of the GE's and EMD's of that era have gone to scrap! That says something.
  But, going further back, just think what it was like to design and work on locomotives in those buildings back in mid-1930's, the "Super Power" era of steam locomotive production was beginning. Many a famous locomotive was born here. I must say, my personal favorite Alco products to roll out the erecting shop doors were the "Q" series of "Pocono" built for the Lackawanna Railroad from 1927 till 1934.

Todd ~