Re: (erielack) Lackawanna Steel, Buffalo

That was another sad story but, a good article. This has  been repeated
many times across this economy, and we'll continue to see this  kind of thing
happen in the future. This has been the case for most all of EL's  on - line
cities.

It's the same old story -  bad management, union  work rules, no
reinvestment. I have seen this kind of thing firsthand. The story  usually leaves out
two vital parts. As this one does.

1. There  is no level playing field in trade. US  manufacturers have to
deal with the EPA, OSHA, the US tax system, no national  healthcare (not that I
want it). All of these things give foreigners a  competitive edge along
with their own government subsidizing their business in  one way or another.
The US government says very little about this and the US  Chamber of Commerce
says it's a good thing.

V&M Star Steel in Youngstown would like to expand their  operations in
Youngstown and add 400 new jobs. One of the things holding this up  is the fact
that the Chinese are dumping tubular products in this country. They  along
with Wheatland Tube located in two other EL online cities, Warren, OH. and
Sharon, Pa. have filed complaints with the US government on the predatory
trading practice of the Chinese dumping. We'll see if the US has the "stones"
to  stand up to this.

2. What big business and Wall Streeters are after is  cheap labor. Sixty
eight cents an hour in China, $2 an hour in Mexico. Software  engineers in
India for $5,000 a year to start. American companies also abuse the  H-1B visa
program to hose Americans out of a job at home. This is one reason why  the
top 25 hedge fund managers made, on an AVERAGE, $540 million each, in 2007.

It used to be that the it was OK to see the "blue  collar" workers out on
the street. Now this sort of thing is moving up the food  chain in many
businesses. It now encompasses "white collar" workers as well.

While working a Delphi Corp. I saw 40 engineers at my facility  get let go
in one week because instead of paying these guys $75,000 a year,  Delphi
could get a Mexican to do it for $10,000 to $20,000 a year. So much  for me
being "retrained" as an engineer!

I just read an article about R&D work now being sent  to China. Why?
Because a Chinese PH.D. will work for 90% less pay than an  American with a PH.D.

Under these circumstances, everyone's job in America may  be in jeopardy,
that is, unless you ride shotgun on a garbage truck, or are a  Wall St.
investment banker.

All is not well in EL country. I wish things were better.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas anyway!

Rick Fleischer
Cortland, OH.

The Erie Lackawanna Mailing  List